Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Villainous Villanelles

Dr. Rice had us try and write one in class today. We got fairly far. We'd come up with our two lines that repeat incessantly, and we'd gotten half of the poem written down before class was over and we had to stop. Each line of each stanza is in iambic pentameter, which is the simplest thing about it. The rhyme scheme is almost impossible to explain in AB format. I'll do it like this...

toe
tree
grow

foe
me
toe

blow
knee
grow

know
glee
toe

show
sea
grow

no
fee
toe
grow

Notice how darn often the words toe and grow are used. Those are the exact same lines every time. If I'd written the whole thing out, let's just make something insane up right now and say the lines are "Today I found a bunion on my toe" and "I watched the stupid thing just grow and grow."

That means that every stanza will say one or both of those lines. Goodness.

The good thing is, the poem my group was constructing was actually kind of cute. We used "down" and "frown" as our two that kept repeating, and for the middle lines that all rhyme we used "elle". It was working, I tell you.

You just try and write a good Villanelle. It's not easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment