Sunday, August 30, 2009

At Least I'm In Good Company

I have been informed, sadly, that the previous poem (or rather, the one posted just below this) is not good. Yes, I suppose it isn't. I reluctantly but assuredly accept this diagnosis. In fact, it's somewhat embarrassing to know that I posted the stupid thing. I could delete it, but as my father says, even Shakespeare wrote crap once in a while. More at the beginning, when he was just getting the hang of it, so no offense to Bardolators.

Speaking of which, to make a quick aside, type the word "bardolator" into a search engine (I almost used the word "google" as a verb, but I thought perhaps some might want to Ask Jeeves instead). It's amazing how many people take pride in calling themselves one. I admire the man, yes, but in all honesty, not to that extent. And I come into problems when people gush about the greatness of "Romeo and Juliet." Did those two have to make everything so complicated? Just run off together, if it's that awful to tell your families the truth. Or even if you still want to fake your deaths, why do it so cloak-and-dagger? The simpler things are, the less that'll go wrong. And I can't quite understand Juliet, who's portrayed as calmer and more rational than the impetuous Romeo, and then stays with him even after he kills her cousin - who at that point was Romeo's cousin too. She's very forgiving - much more so than I would be.

But in regards to my own meager work, at least I know that someone (who shall remain nameless here but who I'm incredibly thankful for) understands what I was trying to do. In retrospect, I suppose I should have picked a more European god for my reference, but I figured, wolf... dog... Anubis... It connects, it gets there.

I had another idea for a poem, but I think I'll spare y'all that for right now. It's a reference poem anyway, and I'm not at all sure of all the words to the "Good King Wenceslas" song. I've just looked it up, out of curiousity. Perhaps I shan't use this tune as a reference after all. Out of respect for an assassinated man. "Betrayed by [his] own brother," to (sort of) quote the movie "Mousehunt". I shall think about it, and you shall be notified if I decide to go ahead with my poem.

The site didn't say if he was a good king. But, then again, good is subjective, isn't it?

1 comment: